Join our Team!
The Public Lighting Authority is looking to grow its dedicated, passionate team, working to restore and maintain reliable street lighting in Detroit. The ideal candidates are self-motivated, energetic, have a thirst for knowledge and share the Authority’s sense of urgency to revitalize the community.
The Public Lighting Authority is looking to hire a Supervisor of Construction. This position will be filled through either a 1099 contract or by a firm that provides this employee through their staff augmentation portfolio.
Job Title: Supervisor of Construction
Department Engineering & Construction
Reports To: Executive Director
FL Status: Non-Exempt
Employment Status: Contract – 1099 – (Temporary – 8-10 months)
The Supervisor of Construction will have responsibility for driving the organization’s new streetlight projects in support of scheduling construction activities and overseeing the overall construction projects to completion through the capital construction project to operation and maintenance.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Oversees and directs new construction activities of the Authority, working with City of Detroit agencies.
• Ensures that capital project management processes enable projects to be completed on time and within budget.
• Develops and implement systems to monitor project performance against budget authorization, project schedules and established quality control standards.
• Directs the process for the preparation of the division’s budget (capital project and operation & maintenance).
• Achieves operational objectives by contributing information and recommendations to strategic plans and reviews; preparing and completing action plans; implementing production, productivity, quality, and customer-service standards; resolving problems; completing audits; identifying trends; determining system improvements; implementing change.
• Implements procedures to streamline contract management process between Contractors. Initiate corrective actions.
• Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
• Enhances department and organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
Milestones reached on goals
Maintain PLA’s GIS system and data
Maintain all PLA As-Built information and data
Executive Director, COO and CFO
Night Survey Manager
Desired Skills and Abilities
Previous experience with overseeing development and construction of projects using third party contractors is a must
Strong planning, management and organizational experience
Highly developed oral and written communication skills, which are essential to success in this role
Interfacing between Engineering Design and Construction
Working knowledge of ESRI ArcMaps, AutoCAD, Microsoft Office and other packages used by the Authority
Project Management and Management Proficiency
Process Improvement and Planning
Assist in tracking construction related repairs
Assist in Inventory Control
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
Education and Experience Requirements
Experience with construction of exterior lighting projects
At least five (5) years of experience managing turnkey civil construction projects
Bachelors’ Degree with emphasis in Civil Engineering and/or Construction Management or closely related field and/or equivalent professional experience
Previous experience working in or with City of Detroit agencies
Certificates and Licenses Required
Valid Driver’s License
Please upload your cover letter and resume here -naming convention: name_resume.pdf
Make sure to click upload
Upload Cover Letter